Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 9 Progress Report

Day 9 (August 6) - Started Chapter 5 off with K's POV, so it went quickly. After all the headbanging I went through to develop her character, she's surprising uncomplicated and easy to write for. And somehow, I feel like she gets all the good lines, whether it's dialogue or narration. Sneaky girl.

Alas, my progress did not last for long. K finished her short, one page scene, and then I was back to H. I really don't feel like writing details and trying to visualize new things these days. I just want to skip all those parts and see if my excuse for a plot works. So anyways, I skimmed over writing the next scene, did some research online, and then left it there.

I'm stuck again. I sketched the story progression as a chart of peaks and flats (like a line graph), and Chapters 3 and 4 were mostly small rolling hills and flats. Chapter 5 needs a small, unrelated peak to change it up and bond the characters before my big mid-story peak (mid-story? Possibly. Though I haven't thought about how to move the plot beyond that point yet. It's hard to tell if it's mid-story when you can't see how far away the ending is) coming up in Chapter 6 or 7. I need a good plot device...

The more I think about it, the more I realize what functions I need this plot device to fulfill. It's like having a job opening and knowing what the requirements are; all I need now is a fitting applicant.

No comments: