Friday, November 19, 2010

Yes, I'm behind, I admit it. To be precise, I missed 4 complete mornings and am 2h 50min behind. Yes, I will get on it. I'm finally done with classes and am free for break. Though I have a ton of work to do over break, in addition to visiting Purdue, but I should really try to catch up on my writing too. So much to do! I am still at something of a loss as to how to proceed with the story. Ganbaru ze.

Also, after reading this article, "Should I Tweet?" I started to think more about my platform, or lack of one. So far, I've really had no success with building an online presence because in the end, I'm actually shy online too, even if less so than in real life. So I've started and abandoned, or left in various states of neglect, four blogs since high school, not including this one. I guess I never had a theme I could stick to and write consistently about. But thinking about it, and thinking about the kinds of people who might buy my books in the future, maybe I should start a blog with a theme about Japanese history. Well, Japan and culture in general, but history too, since that's my particular area of interest. I think the market for my writing would be people interested in Japan, and people who have been brought over by the soft power of cultural things like anime and manga and video games. That's probably the most promising potential market of any substantial size. Of course I want my writing to be accessible to everyone in general, but it's probably the people who have some degree of established interest in Japan who will be the main kind of reader. Anyways, maybe I should think more about this and start a blog with the new year or something? Maybe with blogspot or wordpress, seeing as those seem to be the most popular for literary types. Livejournal is excellent for fandom, but I get the feeling it might not be the best for what my subject will be. Or maybe I should do more research. I guess because two of the four blogs I've flubbed up have been lj, it would be harder to have that feeling of starting anew, if I did start a new blog there.

2 comments:

Burglar said...

Soft power ftw! Maybe a potential article could be about how anime acts as a gateway drug for more serious addictions like kanbun. I'd read it.

Tiffany said...

Hah, maybe you could be a guest blogger for that article...