Monday, January 30, 2012

So, anti-fantasy writers. I think I must have been really lucky to run in to MLC when I started taking creative writing, rather than one of the anti-fantasy profs in the English department. Like for my novella class. Now, it's kind of depressing to meet another anti-fantasy prof for workshop. I guess it's a little harsh calling them anti, but they're certainly not supporters of writing fantasy. Well, like the prof said, genre and literary kind of exist on two parallel planes. It's okay to cross over and do a hybrid, but apparently not all the way. Blah.

(And my story wasn't even pure fantasy. It was mythological. And historical. And steeped in long-established cultural sensibilities. And yes, fantasy, if you look at it that way. In your face.

...I guess I just don't like being told I shouldn't write fantasy for a graduate workshop, just because it's fantasy.)

1 comment:

Jeff Skiles said...

The elitism of the academe is only surpassed by their inability to publish anything enjoyable to read. That said, don't hate the playa, hate the game.