Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Crazy as in Insane

How do you write a crazy character? I think it's terribly difficult. Dostoevsky wrote his crazy protagonoist in "The Double," which was both discomforting and awesome because you didn't know that he was crazy. You were stuck so close to his consciousness that it was the rest of the world that was going crazy, not him. Actually, I can't remember if he really was crazy, but I think he was, because the rest of the world was probably not crazy.

Anyways. I'm writing from the not-crazy person's viewpoint, so we can see just how terribly strange the other person is. But you can't just randomly write craziness. You really have to know what's going on in her head, understand her complete disregard for social norms, and translate all that into behavior that's incomprehensible to the outsider, but makes total sense for to crazy character. I am going crazy trying to do just that much.

Also, yesterday I ate only chocolate cake. It was my boss's birthday the day before, so I had chocolate cake for lunch at the office and then chocolate cake for dinner before going to marketing class. (I know, this is completely irrelevant, but I impressed myself. Actually, the truth is, I was too lazy and cheap to go buy Arby's food like I was originally planning to do.)

Update: And I just had chocolate cake for lunch today again. Three meals in a row of just chocolate cake. I need something different for dinner.

3 comments:

Jerry said...

You ought to watch out or you will become a chocolate cake fatso. That's a WWMS (What Would Mama Say).

Tiffany said...

Yeah, whatever. I think I lost weight that day because that was all I ate. It wasn't like I ate half a cake. I ate a large piece for lunch and then a small piece for dinner before rushing off to class. It's called the Busy, Lazy Person's Diet.
Haha, WWMS.

lb said...

ewww...too much sugar. don't overdose yourself. you will become hyper and run around the office...or maybe it's a way to get into the mind of a crazy person?